Plan ahead with Bacs’ 2020 processing calendar
Bacs, the organisation behind the Direct Debit and Direct Credit schemes, have published their 2020 processing calendar. It is available to download via the Bacs website in PDF format.
Bacs’ processing calendar shows the non-input and non-processing days throughout the year. It is important to be aware of these when planning your collections and credits in order to minimise disruption for payers and your cashflow.
Bacs provides the following tips for processing payments efficiently:
- Ensure your processing software reflects Bacs non-processing days. Customers using SmartDebit’s Pulse portal can be assured that the system has non-processing days incorporated.
- Submit your payment files up to 30 calendar days before the processing date and be aware of ADDACS (Automated Direct Debit Amendment and Cancellation Service) and AWACS (Advice of Wrong Account for Credits Service) in the interim between file submission and processing.
- Share the Bacs processing calendar with all your staff involved in processing your Bacs payments
- Review your payment submissions.
Plan now for Christmas and New Year 2019-20
The upcoming festive period of Christmas and New Year holidays is especially important as there will be additional non-processing days that may lead to payments not being transferred in time. Whether you are collecting payments from customers, or paying suppliers or staff, you need to plan in advance. It is good practice to plan ahead and note down the Bacs processing dates, especially over holiday periods when payments may get missed, and to also plan in accordance with the lead times as outlined by your Direct Debit bureau.
Christmas and New Year 2019 / 20 Bacs processing dates
|Payment Arrival Date||Processing Date||Latest Submission Date|
|Tuesday 24 December||Monday 23 December||Friday 20 December|
|Friday 27 December||Tuesday 24 December||Monday 23 December|
|Monday 30 December||Friday 27 December||Tuesday 24 December|
|Tuesday 31 December||Monday 30 December||Friday 27 December*|
|Thursday 2 January||Tuesday 31 December||Monday 30 December|
|Friday 3 January||Tuesday 2 January||Tuesday 31 December|
|Monday 6 January||Friday 3 January||Thursday 2 January|
* Friday 27th December is a banking holiday in Northern Ireland.
Feeling a bit lost? No worries. Our popular Direct Debit Made Easy course can help you to understand fundamental aspects of the Direct Debit scheme and how it operates, including the Bacs cycle. The course can be delivered in your own offices, one of our regional training centres or via webinar. SmartDebit are one of the few bureaux qualified to provide Bacs accredited training, and the only to do so via webinar. For more information or to book, click here or call our Training team on 01276 851800.